Dan Fredrickson picked up his second career feature win at Madison by taking home the checkered flag in the first round of the Triple Crown Super Late Model Challenge. Nick Egan (Midwest Trucks), Trevor Chilson (6Shooters), and Jamie Domski (Super Cups) also were winners.
Fredrickson Takes Round One
Dan Fredrickson made his long trip from Minnesota a good one tonight as he won the 50 lap feature for the Triple Crown Super Late Model Challenge. Fredrickson started eighth in the field and took the lead with twelve laps to go. It was his second career win at Madison.
Bobby Wilberg and Travis Sauter brought the twenty-four car field to the green flag. Wilberg gained the advantage for the lead on lap 2. Following the leaders were Andrew Morrissey, John Beale, and Mark Eswein. Dan Fredrickson passed Eswein for the fifth position on lap 5.
Wilberg and Sauter were breaking away from the pack while Beale was passing Morrissey for third on lap 10. On lap 14 Paul Shafer Jr. broke into the top five when he was able to pass Morrissey. Two laps later Fredrickson powered his way past Beale for third but with a lot of ground to close on the top two.
At the half-way the fastest car on the track belonged to Fredrickson who was closing the gap on the leaders. With twenty laps to go Fredrickson took the second position from Sauter and began to hunt down Wilberg.
With fifteen laps to go Wilberg’s lead was down to a car length. On lap 36 it appeared like Fredrickson was ready to take the lead but a lapped car thwarted any hopes Fredrickson had to take the lead for now. But on lap 38 he was able to move to the inside of Wilberg going into turn three to take the lead.
Fredrickson was cruising to a seven car length advantage with six laps to go and looked like he was all set for a trip to victory lane. But a spinning car on the front stretch brought out the caution flag setting up a five lap shootout.
Fredrickson led the single file restart back to green and got a great restart opening up a three car length lead. The closest racing was for third where Beale, Rich Bickle Jr., and Shafer Jr. were fighting it out. But this race belonged to Fredrickson who rolled to victory lane followed by Wilberg, Bickle Jr., Beale, and Shafer Jr.
“That’s the hardest fifty laps I’ve ever driven here,” said Bickle Jr. “We’ll get better. We just have a little work to do yet.”
“We were racing against the cream of the crop (Fredrickson and Bickle Jr.) out here so it was a good finish,” said Wilberg.
“This car was a real pleasure to drive. I love coming here to race at these Wisconsin tracks. I wished I lived around here. You Wisconsin guys are lucky to have such great tracks here,” said Fredrickson.
Austin Nason was fast qualifier with a lap of 17.539 (102.628 mph). Heat wins went to Jeff Van Oudenhoven, Dean LaPointe, and Dan Fredrickson.
Nick Egan Wins a Wild One
Nick Egan was in the right place at the right time to pick up the win in the 30 lap feature for the Midwest Trucks. As the leaders made contact ahead of him on the final lap, Egan was able to keep his eyes on the finish line and get the victory.
Egan and Derek Doerr paced the field of eighteen trucks to the green flag. The two raced side by side followed by Dave Edwards, Kevin Knuese, and James Swan. On lap 4 the caution flag came out when trucks the trucks of Michael Bachaus, Reagan May, and Gabe Sommers got together coming out of turn four.
Egan led for one lap following the restart before the trucks of Doerr and Knuese got together in turn two bringing out the yellow flag and sending both drivers to the tail of the field.
Egan and Edwards raced side by side on the restart with Swan and Tommy Pecaro directly behind the front row. On lap 6 Mike Corvo moved past Pecaro to take the fourth position. On lap 9 Egan took a two truck length advantage with Corvo taking the second position from Edwards.
At the half-way point Egan’s lead was four lengths over Corvo who was doing his best to hold off Swan. Moving up through the field after being sent to the rear was Knuese who was now up to sixth.
With ten laps to go, Egan had a 0.56 seconds advantage over Corvo who was starting to close the gap. On lap 22 Corvo pulled to the inside of Egan and was quickly joined by Swan in a three truck battle for the lead.
Two laps later Corvo captured the lead over Egan who was unable to hold off Swan for second. But quickly up to join the leaders was Knuese who was on a mission before he spun on the backstretch bringing out the caution with four laps to go.
Corvo brought the field back to the green single file style and was able to maintain his lead over Swan, Egan, Pecaro, and Edwards.
It looked like Corvo was headed to victory lane, but on the final lap Corvo got loose coming out of turn two giving Swan the opportunity he needed to take the lead, but the two made contact in turn four sending Swan up the track and opening the door for Egan who picked up the win.
“This is hard to describe…it’s hard to put into words. This is so great, it’s something you dream about,” said Egan.
Fast qualifier was Kevin Knuese with a lap of 18.958 (94.947 mph). Heat wins went to Rock Christiansen and Nick Egan.
Chilson Tops the 6Shooters
Trevor Chilson won the 20 lap feature for the Roto Rooter 6Shooters.
Dandy Don Ledwidge took the early lead from Charlie Spry before surrendering the top spot to Nick Krohn on lap 2. Up to join Krohn was 6Shooter veteran Chilson just before the caution flag came out for a spin.
When the green flag waved again, Krohn and Chilson raced side by side before Chilson sprinted out to the lead and checked away from the field working his way in and out of lapped traffic.
It was never in doubt for Chilson who despite a few near misses with lapped cars easily picked up the victory. Mike Seidel would finish in second followed by Jim Ronspiez, Mike Bollinger, and Krohn.
Heat wins went to Chad Niday and Mike Bollinger.
Domski Cruises to Super Cup Checkered Flag
Zachary Tinkle took the early lead before being joined by Jamie Domski who eventually took the point on lap 4. After a caution on lap 5, Domski continued to lead followed by Alex Ertmann and Payton Glodowski.
By lap 12 Domski had caught the tail end of the field and maneuvered his way through traffic building a big lead before a spin brought out the caution on lap 14 and negating the sizeable margin for Domski.
Domski continued to lead following the restart with Glodowski and Tinkle battling it out for second. The caution flag came out again with two laps to go for a spin in turn four.
It was another successful restart for Domski who held off Tinkle for the win. Rounding out the top five were Steve Naples, Glodowski, and Ertmann.
“This is my favorite track. I take a lot of pride in winning because these guys are good,” said Domski.
Jamie Domski topped the qualifying list for the Cups with a lap of 14.794. Zachary Tinkle won the 8 lap heat race.
Racing continues next Friday night June 9th with Kids’ Night featuring the Whelen All American NASCAR Late Models, Dave’s White Rock Sportsman, Pellitteri Waste Systems Bandits, Legends, and Bandoleros. Kids 11 and under will be admitted free plus there will be a candy scramble for the young fans.
Super Late Models
Feature 50 laps
1. 36F-Dan Fredrickson, ; 2. 99W-Bobby Wilberg, ; 3. 45B-Rich Bickle Jr., ; 4. 7S-Paul Shafer Jr, ; 5. 5B-John Beale, ; 6. 47S-Travis Sauter, ; 7. 39M-Andrew Morrissey, ; 8. 25S-Jeff Storm, ; 9. 71E-Mark Eswein, ; 10. 42P-Dennis Prunty, ; 11. 89M-Brad Mueller, ; 12. 62H-John Heath, ; 13. 26B-Chris Blawat, ; 14. 15L-Dean LaPointe, ; 15. 28F-Jake Finney, ; 16. 10M-Andy Monday, ; 17. 22S-Jeremy Spoonmore, ; 18. 13B-Mikie Breiner, ; 19. 5H-Jeff Holmgren Jr, ; 20. 14N-Austin Nason, ; 21. 45O-Jeff Van Oudenhoven, ; 22. 11K-Bobby Kendall, ; 23. 75T-Joel Theisen, ; 24. 41R-Donny Reuvers, ; (DNS) 87F-Jay Foster,
Heat 1 10 laps
1. 45O-Jeff Van Oudenhoven, ; 2. 62H-John Heath, ; 3. 26B-Chris Blawat, ; 4. 11K-Bobby Kendall, ; 5. 28F-Jake Finney, ; 6. 22S-Jeremy Spoonmore, ; 7. 13B-Mikie Breiner, ; 8. 5H-Jeff Holmgren Jr, 
Heat 2 10 laps
1. 15L-Dean LaPointe, ; 2. 99W-Bobby Wilberg, ; 3. 25S-Jeff Storm, ; 4. 41R-Donny Reuvers, ; 5. 89M-Brad Mueller, ; 6. 42P-Dennis Prunty, ; 7. 75T-Joel Theisen, ; 8. 10M-Andy Monday, 
Heat 3 10 laps
1. 36F-Dan Fredrickson, ; 2. 71E-Mark Eswein, ; 3. 45B-Rich Bickle Jr., ; 4. 7S-Paul Shafer Jr, ; 5. 39M-Andrew Morrissey, ; 6. 14N-Austin Nason, ; 7. 47S-Travis Sauter, ; 8. 5B-John Beale, 
Qualifying 2 laps
1. 14N-Austin Nason, ; 2. 36F-Dan Fredrickson, ; 3. 7S-Paul Shafer Jr, ; 4. 71E-Mark Eswein, ; 5. 45B-Rich Bickle Jr., ; 6. 5B-John Beale, ; 7. 39M-Andrew Morrissey, ; 8. 47S-Travis Sauter, ; 9. 99W-Bobby Wilberg, ; 10. 25S-Jeff Storm, ; 11. 89M-Brad Mueller, ; 12. 15L-Dean LaPointe, ; 13. 41R-Donny Reuvers, ; 14. 75T-Joel Theisen, ; 15. 10M-Andy Monday, ; 16. 42P-Dennis Prunty, ; 17. 11K-Bobby Kendall, ; 18. 62H-John Heath, ; 19. 45O-Jeff Van Oudenhoven, ; 20. 22S-Jeremy Spoonmore, ; 21. 26B-Chris Blawat, ; 22. 13B-Mikie Breiner, ; 23. 28F-Jake Finney, ; 24. 5H-Jeff Holmgren Jr, 
30 Lap Feature: (1-10) Nick Egan, Tommy Pecaro, Dave Edwards, Rick Corso, Dan Jung, Michael Bachaus, Ross Christiansen, Parker Retzlaff, Derek Doerr, Kevin Knuese
(11-18) Jerry Wood, Rock Christiansen, Mike Corvo, James Swan, Daniel Calhoun, Danielle Behn, Reagan May, Gabe Sommers
8 Lap Heat #1: (1-8) Rock Christiansen, Ross Christiansen, Danielle Behn, Gabe Sommers, Jerry Wood, Parker Retzlaff, Dan Jung, Daniel Calhoun
8 Lap Heat #2: (1-10) Nick Egan, Derek Doerr, Tommy Pecaro, Dave Edwards, James Swan, Kevin Knuese, Mike Corvo, Rick Corso, Reagan May, Michael Bachaus
Qualifying: (1-10) Kevin Knuese, Michael Bachaus, James Swan, Mike Corvo, Dave Edwards, Reagan May, Rick Corso, Tommy Pecaro, Derek Doerr, Nick Egan
(11-18) Gabe Sommers, Dan Jung, Danielle Behn, Jerry Wood, Ross Christiansen, Parker Retzlaff, Rock Christiansen, Daniel Calhoun
Feature 20 laps
1. 101C-Trevor Chilson, ; 2. 11S-Mike Seidel, ; 3. 18R-Jim Ronspiez, ; 4. 01B-Mike Bollinger, ; 5. 8K-Nick Krohn, ; 6. 08L-Don Ledwidge, ; 7. 11CS-Charlie Spry, ; 8. 2W-Skyler Woerpel, ; 9. 7F-Brian Field, ; 10. 4W-Kevin Whitford, ; 11. 16B-Steve Buna, ; 12. 19O-Ronnie Osborne, ; 13. 54B-Chris Brugger, ; 14. 3S-Tyler Spiegel, ; 15. 23L-Bradley Lounsbury, ; 16. 3N-Trent Nelson, ; 17. 55N-Chad Niday, ; (DNS) 04M-Jared Marty,
Heat 1 8 laps
1. 55N-Chad Niday, ; 2. 3N-Trent Nelson, ; 3. 54B-Chris Brugger, ; 4. 04M-Jared Marty, ; 5. 23L-Bradley Lounsbury, ; 6. 11CS-Charlie Spry, ; 7. 7F-Brian Field, ; 8. 19O-Ronnie Osborne, 
Heat 2 8 laps
1. 01B-Mike Bollinger, ; 2. 11S-Mike Seidel, ; 3. 101C-Trevor Chilson, ; 4. 3S-Tyler Spiegel, ; 5. 8K-Nick Krohn, ; 6. 08L-Don Ledwidge, ; 7. 18R-Jim Ronspiez, ; 8. 16B-Steve Buna, ; 9. 4W-Kevin Whitford, 
20 Lap Feature: (1-7) Jamie Domski, Zachary Tinkle, Steve Naples, Payton Glodowski, Alex Ertmann, Mike Mucha, Connor Kosowski
8 Lap Heat Race (1-7) Zachary Tinkle, Payton Glodowski, Jamie Domski,
Qualifying: (1-7) Jamie Domski, Payton Glodowski, Alex Ertmann, Steve Naples, Michael Mucha, Connor Kosowski, Zachary Tinkle
Qualifying: (1-7) Jamie Domski, Payton Glodowski, Alex Ertmann, Steve Naples, Mike Mucha, Connor Kosowski, Zachary Tinkle